Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More Inferno..what is confusing me this time.

I find the eighth circle to be particularly interesting. In all of the different “pouches” we see the different sides to Dante and his feelings toward the punishments. Now I don’t want to go into some great detail as I am writing about this topic in my paper.  I am slightly confused on how Dante feels about the second pouch. I am also confused on how this punishment has anything to do with the “flatterers” sin. Oh well maybe I can figure it out in class tomorrow. In the third pouch Dante is more than happy that these people are being punished the way they are. I mean I agree, these are the people you basically tried to buy their places in the church. However I am still having difficulty with the rest of the pouches and figuring out how the punishments are “symbolic” of the sins that are committed. I mean I can understand some like the one in the 4th pouch where they are forced to look behind them because they spent their whole lives trying to look ahead and into the future. It is rather clever if you ask me. However, some of the others aren’t as clever. I don’t know I might feel differently once we discuss it in class and I feel like an idiot because people will be explaining the underlying meanings and I’m sitting there thinking “How the heck did you come up with that” and “Are we sure we are all reading the same thing”. This section was still the most interesting to me though, because even though I don’t understand the symbolism, I can still be intrigued by the different ways in which one can be punished for the sins they commit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment