Monday, October 17, 2011

Evening Faces

The beginning of chapter 4 has proved to be no different from the other chapter, with its lustful settings. I find it so amusing how so many years ago it was perfectly normal to sleep around, but now it is a huge no no. I’m not saying that I condone the sleeping around, just that it is funny how things change. Any ways , so at the beginning of this chapter we have genji coming back from court. He stops in to see his old nurse whom he was very fond of as a child. This woman is very ill I love the sentimental side of genji that we see here. He is truly upset that his old nurse is sick and dying. The woman was obviously extremely fond of genji as she cries and shows more affection for him then her own children, which her children notice and I don’t believe they like that all too much. I mean every loves him though so they should be ok with it right? Haha However, even in the mist of this horrible setting, Genjo still seems to only have one thing on his mind. Sex. I mean even Koremitsu is thinking “oh geese he is at it again with the women.” But, they bring it upon themselves by saying its ok. I mean lets all be okay with sleeping around and ofcourse a good looking guy is going to be ok with it. I mean what do they expect. So he inquires about this woman and writes more poetry and don’t get me wrong poetry is nice, but sometimes I’m just like come on get to the point all ready, just say what you mean! That’s not going to happen though, we are reading about the Japanese culture and they do seem to be very passive in there language.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree with that. In the Japanese culture they seem to hide the true meaning of what is being written for the reader to interpret. It is a good method to get the reader involved in the tale. Also, it is weird how all of the women Genji pursues are, in some way, similar to his mother. It makes me wonder if he trying to pull an Oedipus Rex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that is especially hard for me to wrap my mind around is that Genji is considered one of the greatest heroes of Japanese folklore; he is the epitome of class and nobility, supposedly. I mean, schoolchildren have to memorize passages from this work! Just goes to show how much societal standards vary between different times and places...

    ReplyDelete